Thursday, September 6, 2012

Spine- Subhuman (Review+Download)

To be honest, this is one of the first reviews I have done where I wasn’t sure I was going to like the band prior to hearing it. Wayne sent me the 7” link and asked me if I’d be into reviewing it, and because I like challenging myself to review things that I am not comfortable with, at least at first, I was happy to take it. I have to say I am glad that I did. Turns out Spine has members of both Weekend Nachos and Sorry Excuse so I have both friends and friends of friends in this band, but even beyond that, this 7” is absolutely killer. I have never been the type to look out for many new hardcore bands, I usually have my sights set on newer d-beat/crust bands but fuck am I glad that I heard this. Spine is by far the best new hardcore band out there.

 This 7” is basically over before it begins, begging you to give it another listen. The first thing that I have to comment on is the vocals, the vocals sound absolutely mean and intense, there are few bands I think that can capture the actual angry spirit of hardcore in vocals as well as Antonio.  

Musically, this 7” isn’t going to change how you look at hardcore, they are not trying to do anything outside the genre confines, but what they took on a genre oversaturated with mediocre bands and created one hell of a 7”. This isn’t going to be a record you listen to once and then never return to, it’s a record that I really think people are going to be into for a while. 

The middle bulk of the 7” is probably my favorite, 4 killer songs tracking in at just above 2 minutes combined. It’s fast, short and angry. Both the opening and closing songs, the record’s longest two songs, bring the pace down a bit and allow for a little bit more of that hardcore groove, creating a great pacing for the record: mid-tempo/fast/mid-tempo.

Basically the 7” is the perfect mixture of powerviolence and hardcore, think early Harm’s Way. Click below for a download of the record courtesy of the band, and go out and buy the 7”  via: Bad Teeth Recordings (John Caution’s new label)